12/30/2015

Teasdale makes it two in a row

For Gavin Teasdale, the journey to greatness in the Powerade Christmas Wrestling Tournament is halfway complete.
But it did not come without some drama.
Teasdale, the undefeated defending state champion from Jefferson-Morgan, made it two gold medals in as many years in this event when he won a hard-fought 6-5 decision over Patrick Glory of Delbarton, N.J., in the 113-pound finals of a packed gym at Canon-McMillan High School.
Teasdale trailed 3-2 heading into the final two minutes but registered two takedowns, the final one with 1:04 left to secure the win.
“I knew he was going to have a game plan against me,” said Teasdale. “I held back a little and I didn’t finish my takedowns when I had the chance so I have to work on that.”
Teasdale gave up a second period takedown to Glory, the first points scored against the J-M sophomore this season.
“The next time I wrestle him, I just have to go to my offense better,” he said. “I didn’t do too good in this match, but I won.”
Teasdale had a 2-0 lead after one period but Glory escaped, then took Teasdale down with 37 seconds remaining in the period.
“We had to do all the work because he knew what we were going to do and capitalized on it,” said J-M head coach Mike Lesko. “He has nothing to lose. He is coming at you 100 percent.
“I told Gavin the match is not 4:20 seconds. The match is six minutes. Gavin proved it. Kids are going to come after him. That’s 1 and 5 in the nation going at each other but Gavinn did his job. He won.”

Teasdale was the only local wrestler to make it to the finals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home