2/20/2009

Picking the . . . losers

Rather than waste your time predicting that Dane Johnson of Shady Side Academy will win the 140-pound weight class and teammate Roman San Doval will win at 189, I thought I would make some upset predictions for the WPIAL Class AA Championships.

My top upset pick is at 130 pounds, where I think Frank Martellotti of SSA will lose to Colin Sheridan of Mt. Pleasant in the finals. Martellotti is a brawler who depends on his strength. When he wrestled a technically sound wrestler in John Prezzia of SS Beaver, he had trouble. Sheridan doesn't give up many points. If he wrestles a smart match, he can win.

I like Dave Demor of SS Beaver at 135 to beat Zack Sheridan of Mt. Pleasant in the 135-pound finals. Demor has flown under the radar this season. He looked good beating Avella's Mitch Spencer last week and I'm riding that horse to the finish line.

Finally, I think Michael DePalma of Jeannette has a chance to beat Matt Tadich of SS Academy in the finals. Tadich missed a month with injuries. I know he's highly thought of but he's been up and down late in the season. I am most shaky on this pick.

Tell me your upset picks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

Frankie can be a brawler, but very technically sound. Great hips, great in flurries too.

Friday, February 20, 2009 2:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wise man. DePalma has a great shot. 135 is wide open among 4 wrestlers. And Martellotti is injured. Not brave enough to call 171 I see...


---Vic Vega

Friday, February 20, 2009 3:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home