1/21/2007

What? A girl?

When I wrote a story about Amanda Cooper, a female wrestler for Beth-Center competing in the Washington County Tournament, I was surprised at how many people resent her being out for the sport. Here's what strikes me as odd. The fans who came up to me and told me they didn't feel girls belong in wrestling were from some of the smaller schools in the area that are constantly forfeiting weight classes. My feeling on the matter is this: When the schools can fill all the weight classes, then their fans can grumble about females in the sport. As long as there are athletes who refuse to come out for the sport, leaving a spot available, then using a female wrestler is in the best interest of the school, program and coach's future.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you! My input is if boys can cheer, why cant girls wrestle?

Friday, May 04, 2007 9:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home